Why indeed? Here are ten possible reasons. I’ll leave figuring out which one is correct as an exercise for the reader:
1. Because i am not and will never be a victim. I found out when i was very young that blind pacifism is feel-good nonsense. Step up or get stepped on.
2. Because “just ignoring” bullies is the favorite advice of victim blamers the world over, people whose goal is not to stop the bullying, but to keep the fuss down at any cost. People who are perfectly willing to push that cost onto the victim, who has already been proven to be a pushover who won’t make a stink about being bullied and then blamed for it. Was that wagging finger ever aimed at the people who told me to commit suicide?
3. Because there is nothing wrong with confronting people who hurt you.
4. Because victims shouldn’t be manipulated into thinking of permitting abuse in terms of “being the bigger person”. It’s not, and that’s disgusting.
5. Because a lot of people who respect me have thanked me for always standing up to bullies and for never backing down, and i value that about myself.
6. Because i have no duty to pretend i don’t see a viral post and recognize the op as someone who has attempted to bully me, and i am not under a gag order about it. I do not participate in Tumblr Peekaboo, where you have to pretend not to notice people until a certain set of circumstances make them visible. I am much happier pointing and laughing, thanks!
7. Because if i acted in the right way to make a bully somehow magically decide to leave me alone, the bully would then go after someone more vulnerable instead. Given the choice, I’d much rather they wasted their time and effort on me.
8. Because it’s not an act of kindness, respect or compassion to allow someone to be abusive and say nothing against them.
9. Because behind every anon concern trolling about how i prefer to entertain my unwanted guests, there is a person pretending really hard to not be aware of the sort of damage bullies can cause if they’re allowed to run wild.
10. This space has been left blank, because i don’t actually need a reason to fight back when i am attacked. You could save a lot of time by asking yourself instead why you don’t just ignore me.